Week 4, okay, sooooo I skipped writing a blog post last week! Sorry! But absolutely NOTHING happened in Week 4! We were waiting on the wallpaper hanger. I probably should’ve written a blog, to help with SEO, keep others interested in knowing more about my project. But seriously, there were crickets chirping in there last week!
Sooooo…..welcome to Week 5!
Week 5 was great! I’m not gonna lie. We got a lot of items checked off my list and the bathroom is starting to look more and more like a brand new, shiny penny.
1. Bathtub Wood Panel. I haven’t really talked about this add-on project, but it’s a sensational idea and turned out fabulously! The circa 1940s style tub was looking a bit too…..flashy? dated? Okay, ugly for the likes of this soon-to-be pretty new bathroom!
I didn’t want the tub to be the ugly step-sister in the room! So, we decided to hide it with a wood panel! I found a great visual on Pinterest for my Client and contractor. The concept is surprisingly simple, but the results are HUGE! It’s still a work in progress. We’re missing the marble slab that will hold on top of the wood panel. We were originally planning on using 3 white marble thresholds. However, my contractor isn’t keen on having seams in the marble. So, he’s going to have a single narrow slab of marble fabricated for the top.
The panel began as a flat sheet of wood, cut to size. 1X4 wood planks were cut to create the frame. And filler pieces created the more graciously detailed traditional look I was after. When painted gloss white……TA-DAH! Totally FAB!
2. All trims were painted gloss white and the ceiling was painted a flat white. The walls were primed with 2 coats of Zinzer 123. We’re now ready for wallpaper!
3. Wallpaper installation. The bathroom area is tiny! The Thibaut “Bahia” wallpaper went up very quickly. And completely transformed the look of the room almost instantaneously! Seriously though, don’t you agree? The wallpaper has a beige ground with a darker brown metallic starburst. The metallic starburst color replicates the metallic browns in the specialty tile in the tub/shower area.
4. Electrical. You may recall that the previous bathroom only had one switch, which turned on the lights. There wasn’t a switch to the exhaust fan (whaaa? Then, how did it work? It didn’t). There wasn’t even an outlet for a guest to plug in her hairdryer! (Say it ain’t so Barclay!). I KNOW!!
And now that Week 5 is over, I’m very very nervous that we won’t be able to finish this Bathroom Renovation Challenge on time. We’re waiting for the sink vanity to be finished. Once it’s finished, a myriad of small tasks will need to be accomplished AND we have to get it professionally photographed. Unfortunately, I feel certain that (despite being granted an additional week to finish by the ORC committee) we won’t hit the deadline. But, fingers crossed. I’m still hopeful. Let’s send some positive juju vibes to my furniture maker! We need the vanity to complete my bathroom renovation!
Here’s my LIST going forward – let’s see what I can knock out by next week!
1. Order niche glass and glass clips – install
2. Vanity arrives – install
3. Baseboard underneath vanity – install
4. Order marble vanity top, have cut, attach undermount sink – install
5. Install shower fixtures, new toilet, sink fixtures
6. Install towel rod
7. Install mirror
8. Have client approve and order artwork to be placed over toilet (thinking tonal landscape images 2 or 3 framed)
9. Monogram towels
10. Photograph space
There are lots of other Guest Participants in the Fall 2017 One Room Challenge event. If you’d like to see progress on some of the other bloggers’s rooms – click HERE to take you to that page. The main group of blogger/renovators progress can be see HERE.
Thanks everyone for reading my bathroom renovation progress! I’d love to hear your feedback on the project! (okay, that’s sort of a shameless way of asking you to give me happy comments!)
interior design and decorating in Atlanta, GEORGIA
Barclay Stone Interiors is a full service residential firm serving families in Buckhead & North Atlanta Argonne Forest, Brookhaven, Brookwood Hills, Castlewood, Chastain, Garden Hills, Margaret Mitchell, Mt Paran, Peachtree Heights & Tuxedo Park
We style interiors for sunshine, laughter, entertaining & helping each of our clients live their most extraordinary life.